When it comes to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), people often forget about the “TV shows” on Netflix. While there is no direct crossover, there are references in the Netflix series’ to the movies that tie them to the MCU.
Since I’ve ranked the movies I thought it would be appropriate to rank the TV shows too.
Note: Jessica Jones season 2 has hit Netflix. Will it suffer from “Netflix bloat”? I’ll watch it soon and modify my list ASAP. (3/8/18)
Marvel Netflix Series Ranked
- Daredevil Season 1 – Perhaps there’s a little nostalgia kicking in here but I’m partial to ranking this series as the best so far. It introduced us to a part of the MCU that isn’t so glamorous. It also reminded us that comic book characters can be complex and extremely flawed.
- Jessica Jones – This series is almost my number one series. The only reason I don’t rank it higher is that it’s so disturbing. I felt uncomfortable watching this series and could not binge-watch it like *Daredevil*. This series makes you uncomfortable and it should.
- Daredevil Season 2 – In this season of *Daredevil*, we started to get a better understanding of the overarching plot that binds these series together. I’d have preferred this series be about Fisk getting out of prison and seeking revenge but it’s still a great one.
- Punisher – Although I liked the themes explored in this series, this one was little too long. *Punisher* along with *Luke Cage* and *Iron Fist* suffer from Netflix bloat. Overall, it’s a good series but a little too long for my tastes.
- Luke Cage – With *Luke Cage* things start to head downhill. The acting and filmography are great but it was dragged out. This series should have been filmed in 8 episodes instead of 13. I understand wanting to develop characters but it was a little too slow.
- Defenders – I’m not sure there’s anything to say about this show that hasn’t already been said. It’s not as bad as *Iron Fist* but it’s pretty close. It was painful to watch and I don’t thin kit added anything to the overarching story.
- Iron Fist – What can I say? You can’t put the ball in play every time to step up to the plate. The lack of action and the temper tantrums we see from someone who’s supposed to be the best martial artist in the world just ruined this series.